1. UK 82- 12 Gururaj. Question? Questioner. Guruji, is spiritual development always progressive, or do we sometimes take two steps forward and on e step back? Gururaj. (Gururaj laughs) There is no spiritual development. You are as you are fully developed. Therefore, we call ourselves the International Foundation for Spiritual Unfoldment and not development. Now, as far as evolution is concerned, which has to do with the unfoldment of oneself. It can only be progressive. You might go through certain experiences which might seem retrogressive to you, but is it really retrogressive? No. For every experience experienced is for a purpose and the purpose is unfoldment. So if you go through something which is controversial or filled with some kind of adversity in your life, should we regard that to be an adversity, or is it really an opportunity, opportunity to learn, learn something and that very process of learning is the unfoldment of oneself. Is there anything in life from which we don't learn? Look around you. Look around you everywhere. Look at the ants crawling on the floor, how systematic they are crawling and not bumping into each other. How much to learn? Look at the bees going from flower to flower and yet gathering the fragrance of the flower, the sweetness of the flower and giving us honey. Now, is the flower hurt? No. The flower is not hurt. The flower has made itself into an offering to provide the honey and its sweetness. So, unfoldment is never retrogressive. There's never a time when you take two steps back and one step forward. Why do we think this? Is it not just perhaps our own imagination? This cunning animal which I always call the mind and in its own cunningness, it makes us think 'I've gone backwards'. No. There's only one way to go and the way to go is forward all the time. So, when we come into adverse circumstances, it would never mean that we have gone backward but it means that it is spurring us on forward. Do you see? But the mind refuses to accept the lessons that that adversity wants to teach us. For, as I've said many times and many times over and over again, that onward we go, forever onward, forever onward. There is no adversity in life. There is none. But this cunning mind thinks this is adverse. So, I leave home in the morning to go to my office, or you leave home to go to your job or factory or whatever and you have a little tiff with the wife. So what's wrong with it? What's wrong with it? It will make us realise during the day that 'Why this tiff?' Why can't we look at it from that angle? Why this tiff? Why can't we look at it from this angle? Why this tiff? What have I do ne that has created this little tiff? How much can I not learn from that? How much is there not to be learnt from that? That tomorrow let me be more kinder and prevent the tiff. You see?
2. UK 82- 12 So there is never any retrogression, but always a progression, because the course of evolution is pushing you on and on and on. And where is it pushing you to? It is pushing you to the starting point and everyone will find the full circle again. You reach back where you have started. You reach back home. You leave home in the morning, but in the evening you come back home again, don't you? And that's evolution. And that's the path that each and everyone is treading. So, life works in cycles. And there are cycles within cycles, within cycles. The point to be realised is this, that although the wheel is turning and turning and turning, it can only turn from the axle which remains forever still. Do you see? You see the point? Let the wheel of life turn, but at the same time realise that the wheel is balanced on the axle remaining still. And that is what we are trying to find the stillness within ourselves and yet let the wheel turn. So life goes on with all its ramifications and with all its bumps on a potted road. Yet the axle is there. The centre is there. And are we not trying to find the centre of ourselves? And finding the centre of ourselves, knowing the centre of ourselves, realising the centre of ourselves, we say, 'Let the wheel turn, so what'. Do you see? Now, as the wheel keeps on turning in life, why do we put our minds on the periphery rather that the centre? For it is the recognition and the realisation of the centre that brings greater stability to us, where we become at one with ourselves. For the wheel is useless, totally useless without the axle. Can the wheel ever turn without the axle? So we find the axle, the centre and by concentrating through our spiritual practices or by doing our spiritual practices, the mind goes to the axle, the centre. And when the mind is centred, the wheel, periphery would assume lesser importance. Why do we feel troubled? Why do we feel that two steps back and one step forward is because our minds are not on the centre of ourselves. You see. And yet for the wheel to function, it has to have all those spokes. For without the spokes there's no wheel and those are the spokes that constitutes life. Those are the spokes which form the various facets of our lives. So, now, to recognise the value of the spokes and to recognise the value of the rim and to recognise the value of the axle forms the totality of life. A wheel will always turn forward. It is not the nature of the wheel to turn backward. Okay, so you would reverse back slightly to make a turn. But that reversing back slightly to make the turn to the next road is important, for how are you going to get to the next road if you don't reverse back slightly. Now the reversal is part and parcel of progression. So you've made, you want to go to road A, B, C and you turn into road X, Y, Z, so you reverse slightly into someone's garden path perhaps and then you make a turn. So is that reversal not necessary for you to get onto the right road? So where is the stepping backward? That very reversal is also stepping forward. You see how it works. So, therefore no man, no person must ever think that I am going backward. No. I am going forward. And everything, even that little reversal to change direction was necessary for me in order to enable me to make my turn. You
3. UK 82- 12 see. So there is no backwardness. Everyone forever goes forward and that is the message of hope. Do you see, you dope? That is the message of hope, which man must understand not only with the mind, not conceptually but an inner realisation that all this is necessary for me. Are you creating your circumstances? Do you really think you are? To a certain measure, yes. But in the wider circle of life, you are creating nothing. There is a tendency which means freewill. But everything is guided by Divine will. I have said this many times to you before that you cannot even lift your hand without Divine will. So, now what does this mean? That you are totally in control or controlled by Divine will. So where is the question of stepping backward because Divine will is always moving forward. Divine will is always moving forward. And Divine will in combination with the process of evolution can only send you forth. Since the Big Bang, which I have spoken about many times before, this force started shooting out and when anything shoots out like a Comet, it can only go forward. Do you see? It can only go forward and never backward. So man, whatever his circumstances are, whatever experiences he is experiencing, is an experience or circumstance to move you on and on and on and on. Now, as I said just now this realisation has come, not just a thought because the mind can play tricks with you. Oh he does, every day he's playing tricks with you. It’s a tricky mind, but the real self within you, that core of your personality, that heart within you, that never plays tricks. And when this heart, the core of your personality marches on, it ends up again to say in a circle. Right. There is no straight line as mathematics will tell you. Imagine to yourself two people walking along back to back, one going this way and the other going that way around the Globe. They are going in opposite directions but when they go round the Globe, they meet face to face. Do you see? So what are we doing, meeting face to face with our Maker. And that is the journey. We think we are moving away from the Maker. No. You're going in an opposite direction and you think 'I'm so far away from the Maker'. But your destiny is to meet face to face again with the Maker. Do you see? It cannot be avoided. For everything is but a circle where the one line going on meets itself again and when the circle is completed then you have really found yourself. And finding yourself means finding your Maker. For you are not apart from Him. You are not apart from the Maker. You're just unfolding yourself to know that, that which is the Maker and that which is made is but one. Think about it. Think about it. So, man does all things in life to try and find the Maker. Is the artist separate from his painting? Is the poet separate from his poem? Is the musician, the composer separate from his composition? No. No. That separation that people feel or the emotions combined with the mind conjures up, that is the great illusion. That is the great illusion by thinking that I am separate from my Maker.
4. UK 82- 12 Now, what is the answer? What is the answer? The answer lies in one factor only, whatever path you follow, the answer lies in one factor only and that factor is this, that the mind has to be infused, the mind has to be brought into a condition through spiritual practices, so that the Maker is forever present in the mind and the mind is forever in touch with the heart. People think the mind and the heart are separate but it is not. It is a oneness. For where does the mind come from? Where does the mind come from? Where does the body come from? Where does the heart come from? Where does the soul, the spirit come from? One source only, for did He not make the body? Did He not make the mind? Did He not make the spirit which is He himself? But because in this process of evolution, we feel so apart, apart from the truth. You are the truth. Everything you do is the truth. But then the mind being so conditioned and patterned by various kinds of experiences, allows it to think it is not the truth. Every thought you think is none else but the truth. There is no good and there is no bad. Everything is. And then you say 'Oh a bad thought went through the mind'. Why is it bad? Who is analysing that thought? The thought originates in the mind and the very mind that originates the thought is trying to analyse the thought. So the mind is working with the mind within itself, in a whirlpool. So, through spiritual practices, when the mind is brought to a certain calm state then the welling of the heart or the heart wells up into the area of the mind. And when it wells up into the area of the mind, the mind is relieved, relieved of the thoughts that it is thinking. Good. And yet the wheels of the mind turns on, but the axle is realised, upon which the wheel of the mind turns. It is so, so simple. And spiritual practices are aimed at one thing only, is how to recognise and realise the axle, the pivotal point. And then we can allow the mind to turn and churn and yearn and burn and learn. Then we can allow the mind to do that. For once the pivot is realised, once the centre is realised, then all that which is happening in the mind has no effect upon you. It does not leave the impression, the samskaras as we call it in Sanskrit, and that is calling, burning the seeds of karma. And by burning the seeds of karma, you are released. Released from what? From bondage. Bondage from what? Bondage of the mind. Do you see? Do you see the logic? You're released from the bondage of the mind which you have created and you find freedom. And that freedom is the Kingdom of Divinity. Do you see? That freedom is the Kingdom of Divinity. And reaching there, having that freedom, realising that freedom within yourself, nothing in the world can affect you and there are no backward steps ever. So never, never lose hope that I'm going backward. You never can go backward. It's impossible. You can only go forward. Never mind what you do. Never mind the thinking processes of the mind. Never mind the action of the body. Because mind does not matter and matter is no mind. Do you see? So, what is the result? When you are established in self through spiritual practices you, the real you becomes the observer of what the mind is doing. And when you become the observer of what the mind is doing, you separate yourself
5. UK 82- 12 from the mind. Good. Now what does this mean, separating yourself from the mind? It only means one thing, that the big 'I' in you is separating itself from the small 'i' and the small 'i' called the ego is nothing else but the mind. Back to square one. Yeh. So, any problems we have does not stem from the depths of yourself. It stems from the surface layer. I was saying in a lecture somewhere the other day, that the ocean is turbulent, all the waves, it is so turbulent, isn't it. Deep down the calm is there. But what shall I do with the turbulence of the waves? What shall I do with them? I can't stil l them. They will be there. The waves would be there. So what do I do? I become the surfer, ah and enjoy surfing on the waves. How beautiful? The understanding. A new perspective. I might be giving you revolutionary ideas, its not only for this roomful of people but it’s for ages and ages to come, generations and generations to come. And I've told you this before that if my milk turns sour, I make it into yoghurt. So what bothers you? What can ever bother you? Nothing. Nothing at all. Because finding the core of yourself, the Kingdom of Heaven within, everything becomes a play. You become the surfer and enjoy the waves. You see? So, everything in life is joy. That is the point. There's no going backward. Everything in life is joy. Even the most adverse circumstance, if looked at it in depth, you'd find an inner joy in it. Give me any example that you wish to and I will show you the depth in that which you think is adverse. So you're driving your car and you have a puncture. Do you think that's adverse? No, its not. How do you know that if you did not have to stop or if you were not forced to stop there, perhaps round the corner you might have met up with an accident. How do you know? And what's wrong with changing the wheel. Good exercise. (Gururaj laughs) Ah dear me. I'm sorry, my eyes are really running and the nose. That's about all that's running at the moment. Yes, everything can become a joy if it could be interpreted properly. If it can be interpreted properly, everything is nothing but a joy. For you are joy incarnate, you that are made from Him who we regard to be omnipresent, present in every cell of our bodies. Is His nature not joy? And if He's present in every cell of your body then every cell of your bod y is joyful. So where is the turning back? Where is the two steps back and one step forward when He's permeating everything, every form of existence, this chair, this table, these flowers, everything being permeated by Him. For you do not exist. You do not exist. You think you exist. No. Not you, only He exists because He is omnipresent. What else can exist if He is omnipresent. How simple. That only He exists and I don't exist. I think I exist and because I think I exist , that is the root of all my problems. Now, when we accept this fact in life that only He exists, I don't exist, then life could be so godly and when life is godly, there's nothing but joy and bliss. Perspective, perspective, the right perspective is required and therefore I have to give you these explanations. So, who am I talking to? Do you know? I'm talking to Him.
6. UK 82- 12 Right. And who am the I that is talking to Him? No. He is talking to Himself. (Gururaj laughs). You see? He is talking to Himself. That's all. If you can view these things in this way, even with the little minds we have, even with the little minds we have, where we can just have a small conception of this idea, it will add so much fun to life, so much joy to life. And when Divinity talks to Divinity, to Himself, He is thinking aloud. Yes. The Personal God, I'm not talking of the Impersonal God, I'm talking of the Personal God, is thinking aloud and you that feels so individual, is just a product of thought. And what is thought? Just a bundle of ideas, impressions. Why does man suffer in this world? Why does man suffer? Because he is either living in the past or projecting himself into the future. At this very moment you are totally happy. Yes. You are yourself at this moment. But what takes you away from yourself is memories of the past - there again this cunning animal, this mind. Have you ever thought in the present? No. Very seldom. A glimpse now and then. What you are doing is reliving the memories of the past all the time and when you get tired of doing that, you project the past memories into the future. So both are troublesome to you, to your mind. Memories of the past are troublesome, some pleasurable, okay, but pleasure is always accompanied with pain. And then you project it into the future and by living in the past an d projecting it into the future, you are not present. You see. You're not all there. (Gururaj laughs). So, if you are not all there, where are you? You are somewhere else. It’s obvious. You are either in the past or in the future. But our teachings would teach, be here. Do you see? Be here and now. Those are the only moments that count. Nothing else does. You see. So you've got an invitation to go to a wedding next week. Your mind is working already now, what dress am I going to put on or what suit am I going to put on? Yeah. Why? For what reason? Go bloody naked! So what! (Gururaj laughs) Yeah. Projections, projections, projections. Ideas building up on idea after idea, after idea, all the time which serves no purpose whatsoever. The purpose is here and now. At this moment none of you feel troubled. None of you feel troubled at this moment because you are here. But go out of the room and then the thoughts will start playing havoc and you'll be thinking what is Jean doing or Joan doing or Jack or John or James doing now. You see. Projection, projection, projection. And are these projections really necessary? Planning is, but not projecting. You got to plan your schedule because you live in a society in this world and you have to plan. Fine. But plan now and do not live the plan of next week. Do you see? Plan and forget. That's all. But living in the present, it does no t mean you must forget the future. No. But don't live the future now. Plan now, forget it, make a note in your diary, done, and when the date comes up, then do it.
7. UK 82- 12 Ah, hah, hah, hah, hah, so simple this life, so simple this life. When people really learn the meaning of the present then they will experience the presence of Him. Yes. The only reason why you feel apart from Divinity is because you are not in the present, as I said just now, in the past or in the future. But when we are in the present, then we realise that Divinity within us. Then we know what God is all about. Do you see? Because God is never in the past and not in the future. He's only in the present. So what does this mean? We are measuring time in a linear fashion A, B, C, D, E, F, G. Right. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven. Yes. But how about in the vertical fashion instead of the horizontal. For the vertical is here and now. And then you go a step further and when you go a step further, you’d find that long vertical line becoming smaller, smaller, smaller until it reaches a point and that is your centre, the centre of the wheel around which life turns. Yes. We've gone long enough. Is that about an hour or so? Good. Fine. We'll carry on this evening this evening again. Be in the centre and once you're in the centre, you will know the value of that which is Divine. The past is past, the future might never come, but be here now. So there is no step back and no stepping forward either. Aaaaah. You see? There's no stepping backwards and there's no stepping forwards. I said in some talk, I don't remember where, but the word 'nowhere', just shift the W to the left. 'Now Here'. And when you are here then you won't be there or there. And when that realisation dawns on you, you will know that there's nowhere you came from and there's nowhere you are going to. For eternity is in this very moment. And then knowing that, the mind is freed from all the problems the mind has created for itself. And that is the entire secret of life and living. Okay. END
- 921 Total Views
- 697 Website Views
- 224 Embedded Views
- Social Shares
- 0 Likes
- 0 Dislikes
- 0 Comments
- 0 Facebook
- 0 Twitter
- 0 Google+
- 8 188.8.131.52
- 11 www.ifsu.online